Thursday 19 May 2011

Coralicious lips

Afternoon lovelies,

And what a lovely sunny afternoon it is...I probably should write this outside, but I then can't see the screen of the laptop!

As promised some lippie based product reviews for you. Today we will be looking at Rimmels Moisture Renew lipstick in 'Coral Queen' and Collection 2000s Lock N Hold lipgloss in 'Break Dance'.


I had been looking for a good coral lipstick for a while, and although I was tempted by a couple that Mac had on offer I knew that I had to be sensible and so off I went to my local Superdrug (not realising at the time that Boots had just started their 3 for 2 offer across make-up...darn it!) to see what I could find. 


I have been a fan of Rimmel lipsticks for a good few years now, and although there have been a few flirtations with other brands, I still tend to head to the Rimmel stand for a lipstick (or nail varnish!) as I can normal guarantee that there will be a shade that I'm looking for at a reasonable price. When I am no longer a student I'm sure I shall be fulfilling my dreams of having a make up bag full of Benefit and Mac lippies, but for the moment, I am more than happy with my Rimmel ones for only £4.79.

So, first up, Coral Queen.




 It is quite a pinky coral...I think deep down I had wanted to be brave and try something a bit more orange based...but I am really happy with this colour. It is so lovely and bright and summery. It is not as bright as some pure pinks that I have, and is just the right colour to be worn as a statement colour on it's own with minimal make up elsewhere, as well as with slightly heavier eye/cheek make up.



The lipstick goes on easily and you get a good amount of pigment with a brush application which can be built up to get a bolder shade if you wanted to. I find these lipsticks to have a really nice feel to them and they don't dry out your lips at all, as should be the case given that it is a Moisture Renew lipstick. Here is the blurb from the website:

Innovative formula with 3 Super Moisturisers - Collagen, Polypeptides & Hyaluronic Acid deeply hydrates lips and improves their condition instantly and over time. Lips look and feel up to 70% more hydrated and up to 60% smoother - colour is maximised, all day long.



Now, Break Dance.

I don't know about you but I find that a random name for a make up product. I know it's quite common for brands to just pick random names, but I quite like it when there is some relevance to the colour!


This lipgloss is a lovely pale coral colour with a good balance of pink and orange tones to it. The website claims:

- Locks in sheer colour for up to six hours

- Six on-trend shades
- Super non-sticky formula
- Unique wand shape means no nonsense easy application, for girls on the go!
- Long lasting glossy shine will guarantee your luscious lips are locked in for longer

I didn't actually know any of this the first few times I wore it, but looking at the information now, I find myself nodding in agreement. I think that 6 hours is a bit of a stretch, especially for a gloss, but it does still last a good few hours without the colour, or the shine, fading. I think this is actually quite impressive for a product that only costs a couple of pounds...it is £2.99 to be exact.



I was really happy with the colour on my lips, it is not exactly subtle, but at the same time is not a big statement colour. I will happily wear this during the day for lunch or shopping with friends. 

And for big nights out I have been combining the two!



Sorry, the photo is not great, but the two products together gives a great bright glossy look that is perfect for the summer and with a bit of a tan. I am hoping that I will still be able to pull this off when I am a bit paler...I think it is a colour that will suite when tanned but also in the spring/autumn months when most of us feel a bit pale!

What do you think? Have any of you joined in with the coral revolution?

2 comments:

  1. I love these on you. I love coral, with bronzed skin for nights out in the summer. I tend to wear a coral lippie to start the night with (probably MAC's Vegas Volt) and then swap to gloss once I'm out as it's easier to reapply when I'm drunk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely colour isn't it-perfect for bronzed summer skin! I was tempted by MACs Vegas Volt. I'd recommend this gloss, very impressed considering the price!

    ReplyDelete