I made these when we were having a bit of a return of summer (if we actually had one to begin with) and this recipe really is perfect for sunny days. I can imagine eating them on a sunny spring day with a small group of your closest girlfriends while gossiping and drinking fresh lemonade or tea.
Makes 12-16 cupcakes. I usually end up with more than 12.
For the sponge:
4 tbsp apple iced-tea powder (I used apple and white cranberry instant tea from Whittards)
3 tbsp just-boiled water
80g unsalted butter
280g caster sugar
240g plain flour
1tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
200ml whole milk (I have used semi-skimmed before, shhh don't tell anyone!)
2 large eggs
For the icing:
4 tbsp apple iced-tea powder
50ml whole milk
500g icing sugar
160g unsalted butter.
* Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/GM5 and line a muffin tin with muffin cases.
* Place the apple tea powder in a bowl and add the just-boiled water, allow to dissolve completely. Using a hand held electric whisk or electric mixer, whisk together the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt on a low speed until the ingredients resemble fine breadcrumbs.
* Place the milk and eggs in the bowl with the apple tea and whisk together by hand. Add 3/4 of this to the dry mix and whisk using the electric whisk, increase the speed and add the remaining milk mixture. Continue to mix until smooth.
* Divide the batter between the cases, fill them to two-thirds full. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes. Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin, then place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
* To make the frosting dissolve the apple tea in the milk. Whisk the icing sugar and butter until no lumps of butter remain and then gradually add the apple milk. Once this has all been added increase the speed and whisk until light and fluffy.
* Top each cake with a generous spoonful of frosting and smooth with a palette knife. Decorate. I used edible glitter. Enjoy...