Wednesday 9 November 2011

It's a dogs life

Recently I have begun to empathise with dogs. No, I'm not going mad, honest! I'm talking about going for walks. In my house you have to merely mutter the 'w' word and you are ambushed by leaping, jumping pups that are rearing to get out there and see the world. I've always quite enjoyed a walk, especially on a warm sunny day, perhaps along the river in Marlow. However I've never felt the need to get quite as excited about it as my dogs do. Until now. Now I'm not saying I start leaping up at people when they suggest it or go bounding out of the house every morning. If it's pouring with rain, dark and a gale is a blowing then I'm more than likely to go 'ok, pyjamas, slipper boots, blanket, tv, check!' but I am starting to really appreciate the benefits of a bit of fresh air.

My mum and I are on a bit of a health kick at the moment. A combination of weight loss, getting healthy and general well being. So we have decided to be up for a 7am half hour walk every day during the week and also try and do a longer walk on either one or both weekend days. We managed it every day last week bar Friday because mum had to be in Kent early and I wasn't getting up at 5.30 to go walking! We made up for it over the weekend though and walked into our local town on Saturday AND Sunday which takes an hour and we carried food shopping while we were at it. During the week we take the dogs to get a little more from the walk (handling two 1 year old chocolate labradors is a great arm work out). It's only been a week and so the benefits haven't been that obvious yet, but I am starting to feel healthier.

I've been enjoying my walks so much that today I went twice. The second time was on my own and it was really enjoyable walking around in the sunshine, kicking up leaves, smelling woodsmoke and generally having some me time. One of the reasons that we have been walking is that my mum suffers really badly from anxiety and panic attacks so the idea is that the walks are a way of de-stressing and relaxing. Walks like today make me see why it can help, having time to just chill out and have a moment with your thoughts. I wasn't stressing about anything or thinking about the things on my to-do list that I hadn't done. I thought about all the fun things I have planned at the moment and about ideas for blogging and Uni. When I walk with Mum it also gives us a chance to talk to each other about things that are annoying us or what we are up to which can be hard when we are both living busy lives.

My aim next week is to ditch the car and walk to and from Uni everyday, come rain or shine, as well as my morning walk. Maybe if I get used to this I'll start running next...or not. I think that may be a step to far for me right now. If you have no plans this weekend or a spare hour with nothing to do, go for a walk. Get out there. Clear those cobwebs. Believe me, it helps.

You can't have a post without a picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment