Friday 23 September 2011

Autumn Days, when the grass is jewelled...

As of today Summer is officially over. Not that it ever really felt like it arrived. Yet again we were offered a mediocre, average at best, 'sunny' season from the weather gods. If news reports are to believed it was in fact, the coldest summer in 20 years. But let us not dwell on the past, lets face it, we knew it was going to be awful, we have come to expect so little from our British summers.

Instead let us look to the future, to Autumn. Ah, Autumn, I have always felt there to be something magical about this time of year. The changing of the leaves, a slight change in the air, a crispness and the promise of excitement yet to come (mainly in the shape of Christmas). Lovely, lovely Autumn/Winter fashions; chunky knitwear, tights in all the colours under the rainbow, comfy boots and cosy coats. I for one cannot wait to really get in to my winter wardrobe, I have missed my hats and scarves.

Bonfire night and Halloween, chilli with jacket potatoes, roast dinners and stodgy sponge puddings with lashings of custard. Mulled wine and cider or hot chocolate with marshmallows. All of which are best consumed in a pub in front of a big log fire. I love a good sunny but cold day in Autumn when I can get myself wrapped up, sunglasses on and go for a walk along the river with my friends and finish off with a nice pub lunch or hot drink.

I noticed the other day that the side of my house is no longer covered with greenery, but has instead turned the most gorgeous deep red, it looks great when the sun shines on it, it practically glows.

Unfortunately the sun was not shining when I took this picture

To finish off my ode to Autumn, I leave you with one of my all time favourite Autumnal memories of childhood. This song used to be THE song of choice in my school assemblies at this time of year (and in fact any time of year if we were allowed) and it sums everything up perfectly. If you know the tune then sing along! Note: last line of the last verse MUST be shouted. All together now...

Autumn days, when the grass is jewelled
And the silk inside a chestnut shell
Jet planes meeting in the air to be refuelled
All these things I love so well

So I mustn’t forget
No, I mustn’t forget
To say a great big thank you
I mustn’t forget.

Clouds that look like familiar faces
And a winter’s moon with frosted rings
Smell of bacon as I fasten up my laces
And the song the milkman sings.

So I mustn’t forget
No, I mustn’t forget
To say a great big thank you
I mustn’t forget.

Whipped-up spray that is rainbow-scattered
And a swallow curving in the sky
Shoes so comfy though they’re worn out and they’re battered
And the taste of apple pie.

So I mustn’t forget
No, I mustn’t forget
To say a great big thank you
I mustn’t forget.

Scent of gardens when the rain’s been falling
And a minnow darting down a stream
Picked-up engine that’s been stuttering and stalling
And a win for my home team.

So I mustn’t forget
No, I mustn’t forget
To say a great big thank you
I mustn’t forget.

Autumn Days
by Estelle White



No comments:

Post a Comment